Houston Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
Navigating the aftermath of a rideshare accident can be overwhelming and complicated. The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC, stands ready to guide you through this complex process with our team of Houston rideshare accident lawyers. With a proven track record across more than 20 years of trial-tested representation, we are equipped to see your case through to the end, even if that means going to trial when required. Let us tenaciously fight for your rights after a crash involving an Uber or Lyft driver.
Why choose our firm first?
- Attorney Steven Shellist is a trusted legal resource on ABC-13 Houston.
- We can handle cases fully in-house and go to trial when necessary.
- Our firm has earned a long list of positive client reviews.
- Our team has many professional awards from Super Lawyers®, Avvo®, and more.
Call (713) 999-6855 to talk with our Houston rideshare accident lawyers today.
How is a Rideshare Accident Different?
A rideshare accident is a car accident that involves a rideshare vehicle, like one managed or paid by Uber, Lyft, or another popular rideshare company. This specification can add complications to the legal processes ahead because rideshare companies often try to avoid any liability for the harm caused by their rideshare drivers. Furthermore, questions of liability can become complex if there are multiple parties involved in the crash, such as what can happen if you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle and another driver crashed into you.
You don’t have to worry about the extra details and complications of a rideshare accident, though, not when you have The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC on your side. Our Houston rideshare accident lawyers can sort through everything for you while you focus on resting and recovering.
How Do Rideshare Accidents Happen?
The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC has extensive experience in handling a wide array of cases involving various causes of rideshare accidents. Our team of attorneys can adeptly navigate the intricacies of these cases, including when a crash is caused by rideshare drivers, other drivers, rideshare passengers, or other third parties. We understand that every accident is unique and requires a tailored approach to ensure the best possible outcome for our clients.
Common causes of rideshare accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: Rideshare drivers often rely on navigation systems and apps, which can distract them from the road. Other distractions could include texting, eating, or interacting with passengers.
- Fatigue: Many rideshare drivers work long hours or drive late into the night, increasing the risk of accidents due to fatigue.
- Speeding: This is a common cause of accidents in general. Rideshare drivers may speed to increase their number of rides and overall earnings.
- Reckless Driving: This includes aggressive driving behaviors like tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, and running red lights or stop signs.
- Impaired Driving: Just like any other driver, a rideshare driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol poses a significant risk.
- Inadequate Vehicle Maintenance: Rideshare vehicles, due to their high usage, require regular maintenance. Failure to do so can lead to unsafe mechanical failures.
- Passenger Actions: Sometimes, the actions of the passengers, such as distracting the driver or causing a commotion, can lead to accidents.
- Third-Party Drivers: Accidents can also occur due to the negligence or reckless behavior of other drivers on the road.
What is Rideshare Insurance Coverage?
Uber and Lyft each offer insurance coverage to their rideshare drivers. However, this insurance coverage is not always available, and the extent of coverage changes when it is. We can review the circumstances of your crash to see if the rideshare company’s insurance policy should be available to cover some of your losses.
Uber’s insurance policy, which is strikingly similar to Lyft’s, has these coverage tiers:
- Tier 0: If the rideshare driver was not using the app when the crash occurred, then Uber doesn’t accept any responsibility or even interest in the crash. Personally held insurance policies among the involved parties will need to be used if applicable.
- Tier 1: If the rideshare driver was using the app to find a paying passenger but had not accepted one yet, then Uber may offer its entry-level insurance coverage. This level is a 50/100/25 policy for third-party liability, but it only applies if the rideshare driver’s privately held insurance does not.
- Tier 2: If the rideshare driver was using the app and had accepted the fare of a paying passenger, whether that passenger was waiting to be picked up or was in the rideshare vehicle, then Uber can offer its greatest insurance coverage. The highest policy level can provide coverage for $1,000,000 third-party liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and/or first-party injury insurance, and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage.
Taking Care of Our Clients, One Case at a Time
Don’t get lost in the details of a rideshare accident by trying to handle your claim alone. Uber or Lyft will be looking out for their own interests, as will any auto insurance companies that get involved. If you want someone to look out for you, then you’ll want to team up with The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC and our Houston rideshare accident attorneys. We have built our reputation for fighting difficult legal battles for our clients—and finding creative ways to win.
Car Accident $20,000,000
Illegal Sexual Recording $800,000
Dog Attack $750,000
Car Accident $300,000
Oil Rig Settlement $2,000,000.00
Practicing Law for Two DecadesHaving practiced law for 20 years, you can be confident attorney Steve Shellist can successfully handle your case.
Extensive Trial ExperienceAs a former chief prosecutor, Mr. Shellist knows how to present a compelling case in front of a jury.
Highly Personalized RepresentationAt Shellist Law, we believe every case requires tailored representation in order to achieve the best possible outcome for the client.
Legal Analyst on ABC-13Over the years, Mr. Shellist has been called on by ABC-13 News to share his expertise on many newsworthy cases.