Houston Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
Filing a Catastrophic Injury Claim in Texas
Although any injury can have a significant impact on your life, some are so severe, they cause permanent, irreparable damage. These types of injuries are commonly known as “catastrophic injuries,” and they typically have serious effects on victims and their families.
If you or someone you love has suffered a severe bodily injury, resulting in significant and/or permanent disability or impairment, reach out to The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC. If someone else was to blame for the incident that caused the injury, you deserve justice. Our Houston catastrophic injury attorneys can help you fight to hold the liable party accountable and seek the fair financial compensation you are owed. We have extensive trial experience and are known as formidable opponents in the courtroom. Our attorneys are ready to advocate tirelessly for you and your family.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
While there is no set definition of what makes an injury catastrophic, it is generally agreed that any injury that results in permanent and/or significant disability, impairment, or limitation of a bodily function, organ, or member can be classified as a catastrophic injury.
Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Severe burns
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Partial and total paralysis
- Amputation/loss of limb
- Eye injuries
- Loss of vision and/or hearing
- Permanent scarring
- Severe soft tissue damage
- Organ injuries
- Chronic illnesses and medical conditions
- Injuries resulting in coma
These and other catastrophic injuries typically require extensive medical care, as well as ongoing or even lifelong treatment. It is very common for victims of catastrophic injury to be unable to return to the job they once had, and many will be unable to return to the workforce whatsoever. Often, victims are unable to care for themselves or complete everyday tasks and may require professional assistance for the rest of their lives.
At The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC, we understand the immense impact catastrophic injuries have on victims and their loved ones. Our Houston catastrophic injury attorneys provide compassionate, client-focused representation and seek the maximum available compensation. Our goal is to recover every penny you are owed for your economic losses, physical pain, and emotional suffering.
What Are the Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
Any accident or harmful event can lead to a catastrophic injury. Although these injuries often result from devastating incidents, even a seemingly minor accident can result in severe bodily injuries with permanent, life-altering effects.
Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, and other vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian-vehicle and bicycle-vehicle accidents
- Falls, including falls from heights and slip, trip, and fall accidents
- Violence, including assault, sexual assault, and other criminal activity
- Sports and recreation accidents, such as boating or diving accidents
- Animal attacks, including dog bites and attacks
- Construction accidents, such as structure collapses and vehicle accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Workplace accidents and work-related incidents
Often, these types of incidents result from the negligent or reckless conduct of others. When this is the case, victims and/or their loved ones can file civil lawsuits against the liable parties and seek fair compensation for their economic and non-economic damages.
How Are Catastrophic Injury Cases Different from Personal Injury Claims?
Although catastrophic injury cases are very similar to standard personal injury claims, several important differences set them apart. Because of these key differences, it is important that you find a lawyer with experience handling catastrophic injury claims. Your attorney should be well aware of the unique challenges these cases present, as well as how to overcome them.
Some of the main differences between catastrophic injury and less-severe injury claims include:
- The Severity of the Injury: Catastrophic injuries are simply more severe than other types of injuries. They are often more complex as well, meaning they typically require more extensive and in-depth medical treatment.
- The Effects of the Injury: Because they are more severe, catastrophic injuries also tend to have a greater impact on victims than less-serious injuries. Catastrophic injury victims are often left with significant and permanent disabilities, limitations, and impairments.
- The Type and Extent of Victims’ Damages: Catastrophic injuries tend to lead to more severe and extensive damages, including more expensive medical costs, greater pain and suffering, and considerable lost income/wages, not to mention lost earning capacity.
- Issues Involving Liability: It can be difficult to prove liability in catastrophic injury cases. Many insurance adjusters will argue that the catastrophic injury resulted from an underlying or preexisting medical condition that was exacerbated due to the accident or incident.
- The Value of Catastrophic Injury Claims: Due to the severity of the injury and the extent of the victim’s damages, most catastrophic injury cases have significantly higher values than other personal injury claims involving less-serious injuries.
- Insurance Company Disputes: Because catastrophic injury cases tend to be worth more than other personal injury claims, insurance companies are even more invested in disputing or denying them. Victims are likely to experience significant resistance from insurance adjusters.
We strongly recommend that you reach out to The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC if you or someone you care about has been catastrophically injured as a result of someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct. While you may be entitled to financial compensation, actually recovering that compensation from the insurance company or the liable party can be very difficult without the help of an experienced attorney.
Our Houston catastrophic injury lawyers are prepared to meet with you, discuss the details of your case, and share how they can help you navigate the legal process. We take the time to get to know our clients on a personal and individual level. When you choose The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC, you will receive compassionate and attentive legal support every step of the way.
Car Accident $20,000,000
Illegal Sexual Recording $800,000
Dog Attack $750,000
Car Accident $300,000
Oil Rig Settlement $2,000,000.00
Practicing Law for Two DecadesHaving practiced law for 20 years, you can be confident attorney Steve Shellist can successfully handle your case.
Extensive Trial ExperienceAs a former chief prosecutor, Mr. Shellist knows how to present a compelling case in front of a jury.
Highly Personalized RepresentationAt Shellist Law, we believe every case requires tailored representation in order to achieve the best possible outcome for the client.
Legal Analyst on ABC-13Over the years, Mr. Shellist has been called on by ABC-13 News to share his expertise on many newsworthy cases.