If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, you may feel overwhelmed and uncertain about what to do next. Catastrophic injuries are usually severe and life-altering and can have a significant impact on your physical and emotional well-being. In this blog post, our attorneys will discuss different types of catastrophic injuries and the legal actions you can take to receive proper compensation.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
There are many different kinds of catastrophic injuries, each with its long-lasting symptoms and effects. Common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries - A brain injury is any damage to the brain that occurs after birth. Brain injuries can occur as a result of a fall, motor vehicle accident, or another type of trauma. Symptoms of a brain injury can include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, memory problems, and mood swings. Depending on the severity of the injury, brain damage can be temporary or permanent.
- Spinal cord injuries - A spinal cord injury is any damage to the spinal cord that results in a loss of function. Spinal cord injuries can occur as a result of car accidents, falls, or sporting accidents. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury may include paralysis, loss of sensation, and loss of bowel or bladder control. Spinal cord injuries often result in permanent disability.
- Muscle injuries - Muscle injuries include any damage to the muscle or tendons connected to the muscle that can negatively impact the ability to move or enjoy physical activity.
- Burns - Burns are tissue damage that occurs when the skin comes into contact with heat, electricity, chemicals, or radiation. They can range in severity from first-degree burns, which only damage the outer layer of skin, to third-degree burns, which injure all layers of skin and underlying tissues.
- Limb loss - Losing a limb such as an arm or leg can leave a victim without the ability to work and can severely impact their quality of life.
- Loss of hearing or sight - Though many people learn how to adapt to the new normal, losing critical senses such as hearing or eyesight can have a significant impact on the quality of life.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
There are many different causes of catastrophic injuries. Some of the most common causes include:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Sports accidents
- Assault and battery
- Workplace accidents
What To Do After The Accident
Seek Medical Attention
Immediately following an accident that resulted in a traumatic injury, seek medical attention to ensure you will recover as quickly as possible. We recommend contacting emergency services to come to the scene, which will help you receive immediate attention as well as help document the accident. Documenting the accident is helpful when filing a catastrophic injury claim.
Keep Detailed Records of the Accident
As soon as you are able, write down as many details of the accident as possible. Additionally, request a copy of the police report and any other documentation relevant to the situation. Relative information may include medical reports and insurance records. Lastly, think about how your quality of life has been impacted since the event and write it down.
These are essential steps because catastrophic injury lawsuits can seek compensation more than medical expenses. The more details you can provide toward your claim, the better chance your case has of receiving payment for pain, suffering, or loss of quality of life.
Seek Assistance From an Experienced Attorney
Going through the legal process can be challenging, hiring an attorney who specializes in your unique situation. For example, if you have a medical malpractice claim, do not choose a car accident attorney. When you meet with them for your consultation, bring all documentation regarding the case.
The attorney will help construct a case based on the information you provide. Again, the more information, the better. They will then quote you an estimated amount of compensation you will receive from the lawsuit.
We Are Here for You
At The Shellist Law Firm, PLLC, our team of catastrophic injury attorneys is dedicated to providing a highly personalized and strategic approach to your unique situation while fighting for the best compensation possible. Give us a call (713) 999-6855 or contact us online to schedule your complimentary consultation with a member of our team.